As a reminder, the deadline for college financial aid applications is coming up soon. Below you will find important information to assist you with this process.
Families with a 21st Century Scholar student program must submit the FAFSA by the March 10th deadline in order to be eligible.
This is a reminder that the deadline in the State of Indiana for filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is March 10, 2015. The FAFSA must be RECEIVED on March 10, by midnight, Central Time. If your senior student is planning to apply for any type of financial aid (grants, loans, or work-study), you must meet the March 10 deadline. Even if you do not think your family will qualify for need-based aid, most colleges, especially private colleges want students to file a FAFSA form before they will award their school-sponsored scholarships. Most colleges use FAFSA information to determine individual student aid award packages. Contact the financial aid office of the college for confirmation. The FAFSA may be completed online athttps://fafsa.ed.gov/. You will need a PIN for you and for your child before you can submit the form. Get your PINs as soon as possible at https://pin.ed.gov/.
What You Need to Complete the FAFSA:
- Social Security Number
- Driver’s license
- W-2 Forms for the previous year and other records of money earned
- Most recent Federal Income Tax Return – IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, foreign tax return
- Records of child support paid (if applicable)
- Records of taxable earnings from federal work-study or other need-based work programs
- Records of any grants, scholarships, and fellowship aid that was included in your or your parents’ adjusted gross income (AGI)
- Current bank statements
- Current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment records
- Documentation of U.S. permanent resident or other eligible noncitizen status
Also, there are several private colleges that require you to file a College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile in addition to the FAFSA. These schools may also have earlier deadlines for filing for financial aid. Contact the financial aid office of the college for verification of requirements. CSS Profile Registration forms are available online at https://student.collegeboard.org/css-financial-aid-profile.
If you have any questions or need assistance, you may call or email Deb Graf, director of guidance at Blackhawk. Her contact information is below.
- Deb Graf
- (260)493-7400 x435